Friday 28 June 2013

Day 7

After completing the final mix and listening to it repeatedly, I wasn't fully content with certain parts of both mine and Serena's vocal performance but did not have sufficient time to re-record them.

EVALUATION
The recording project was a great learning experience. Though I had previous recording and mixing experience, I had none using a Mac, the OS X operating system or Logic Pro. In addition to learning to use these resources, I also learnt how to organise and record a duet, using multi-track recording.

I feel the use of multi-tracking enhanced the finished result of my track, as the lead vocals were recorded together at the same time, making it a real duet, as opposed to being recorded at separate times. However, I feel the process would have been quicker and the end result even better had I rehearsed the song with Serena much more, in advance of the recording session, so that we could record a lot more, if all the track within a single take; instead of recording each section of the song at a time.

The decreased recording time of the lead vocals and being more rehearsed would have also allowed Serena time to record the backing vocals alongside me as we recorded the lead vocals, cutting time once again and decreasing recording time further. This could have allowed time to re-record certain parts of the vocals that we feel could be improved.

I believe that the way I organised the tracks was the most intuitive and simplest way I could have as each lead vocal had its own track as did each backing vocal part and even my own ad libs; which was particularly beneficial when mixing as I didn't have to spend an extensive amount of time looking to find where each vocal was and which effects were applied to what.

The project has been a fun, if challenging experience and both I and Serena are really pleased with the quality of the overall end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment